Siirry pääsisältöön

ei mulla muuta

tänään taas Klinikalla

When I first took ADHD medications it was just like the first time I got glasses…the world came into focus. I just wish I could have had them forty years ago. My life would be very different.
– Anonymous
Living with ADHD is like walking up a down escalator.You can get there eventually but the journey is exhausting.
– Kathleen Ely, Helena, Montana
It was a relief when I was diagnosed at age 46 and a lot of my past made sense. I wasn’t just lazy. The medication and awareness has helped me to adjust and cope. I can appreciate my strengths and work on my weaknesses now instead of just feeling like a loser.
– Anonymous
ADHD is not a choice or bad parenting.Kids with ADHD work twice as hard as their peers everyday but receive more negative feedback from the world.
– DRB
For me, anyway, having ADHD is like walking one step in front of a rain cloud, two steps in front of a thunderstorm [and], three steps in front of a tornado. Forgetting things, making careless errors, being confused. … these things can create havoc! The important thing I’ve learned is to accept errors as quickly as I can, remedy the situation, issue an apology as needed…. and keep moving forward. Afterall, the sky is clear and the sun is shining up ahead!
– LJP
Because ADHD is not a visible medical disorder people don’t understand that it is just as disabling as those that are very visible. It requires understanding and acceptance that people with ADHD need some accommodations at times to perform to their potential.
– Anonymous
It took me a long time to see how my “boundless energy and curiosity” that were helpful in my professional and personal lives were also limiting my professional and personal lives. Acknowledging and treating my ADD has helped me see and listen more clearly, think ahead more thoroughly, and be more effectively creative. I am also less anxious.
– EH
I find the lack of understanding and knowledge about ADHD, especially among teachers, to be extremely disturbing.These individuals have the most daily influence in the life of a child and an opportunity to assist and help these children develop the skills needed to work with this disorder. Teachers are sadly behind the times when it comes to dealing with in their classrooms and we as parents find ourselves spending inordinate amounts of time advising and educating the educators on how to partner with us and our child to help ensure his success.
– Kim, Cortlandt Manor
My 9 year old son has ADHD and struggles every day for self-control. He is extremely intelligent and especially creative (an out-of-the-box thinker), with abundant energy. He cries to us frequently saying that he doesn’t want to be the way that he is…he doesn’t want to get in trouble for talking in class, he doesn’t want to forget to turn in his homework, he wants to be able to follow the rules. The anxiety over wanting to be the “good” kid is heartbreaking. I tell my son every night that one day he is going to do great things in this world. Be POSITIVE for a child with ADHD!!
– Michelle, West Palm Beach
I would like for people to know that there is a whole segment of the population out there with ADHD who have amazing gifts to offer.They have stories to tell, help to give, jobs to do, people to love, lives to be lived. Without acknowledgement and acceptance of their ADHD by themselves and others, they may bury their gifts, die with their stories, never experience the feeling of putting in a week’s work they feel good about, never learn to articulate the love they truly feel for the people in their lives because they are always working on measuring up and are severely misunderstood by their “loved ones”. They frequently want their agony to end, perhaps even their lives. Can you live with that? If not, do something about it. Start a support group. Give a hug. Help a friend with ADHD. Don’t give up on us. We would not give up on you.
– Anonymous
It’s magic and fire all rolled into one. My son is bright and energetic yet easily frustrated and distracted. It is a constant battle to help him, to get help from others, because so many are ignorant on the issue and think ADHD doesn’t exist. I accept my son as he is and think his ADHD just makes his world that much more colorful :)
– Rainbows
This is a mental health issue NOT a behavior issue! People including doctors and schools need to recognize it as such!
– Ridge Meadows, BC
I was so reluctant to try meds for my son. I thought it would sedate him, make him a zombie, stifle his creativity. But I got to a point where I felt his ADHD would destroy our family, and we turned to medication. It turned out to be a wonderful decision. His grades turned around completely (top of his class), and he began to feel intelligent and capable. He could focus enough to express his fabulous ideas. Soon, we realized his dad also suffered from ADHD. We got him on meds too, and it’s been a life changer for our whole family dynamic. Dad feels bitter about not getting the meds as a child, and feels he could have done more in life (it’s not too late!). So I want people to know that just as someone with bad eyesight needs glasses, ADHD medication can allow you to reach your potential.
– Tamsin, San Diego
To the Public HS Administrators and Teachers: My child is not lazy! My child is smart and loves to learn, but my child does learn differently. My child wants to do well, but needs support from qualified teachers that understand learning differences. My child does not have the skills that you think he/she should have by this age. Please help him/her develop those skills. Just because my child is very smart, does not mean that he/she does not have learning difficulties. Create an environment that “truly” focuses on promoting the success of all students. Create an environment that is supportive of learning differences and helps students develop skills needed for future success.Create an environment that promotes self-confidence, self-esteem and independence. Create an environment that “cares” about the success of all students.
– Anonymous
I recently read that parenting a child with ADHD is like parenting five children. This couldn’t be more true. After years of behavioral therapy that was making just a dent in my son’s organizational skills, we finally put him on medication. What a difference! I’m back to one child instead of five. We can now put into practice all the things we learned from those years of behavioral therapy. For all parents who are reluctant to try their child on medication, I strongly encourage you to look into it. I really didn’t realize how much our family unit was suffering until now. Now we all have hope for a brighter, more productive future. And, the best thing is that my son see’s the difference and is proud of himself.
– Suzanne, Chappaqua, NY
ADHD is a neurological and behavioral disorder that affects not only the person with it, but the entire family, including parents and the extended family of parental siblings and grandparents. It tests the limits of the family’s ability to be supportive, understanding and loving.
– Larry, Dresher, PA
ADHD is real and valid. The sooner we recognize the patterns and learn to work with these kids, the better assured we will be that they as adults with be healthy members of society. Teachers and education administrators need to be the strongest advocates of early intervention and support. Unfortunately, many of them deny the existence of this ADHD and aren’t willing to look at sound science that supports this.
– Rhonda Van Diest
Having a child with ADHD is the most difficult thing you will ever have to deal with, because it never ends. Every single day is an exercise in patience (or lack thereof) and forgiveness (you trying to forgive yourself for lack of patience!).
– OV
I used to see misbehaving children in public and think that the child really needed discipline…until I had an ADHD child. I used to think that ADHD was way over diagnosed…until I had an ADHD child. Now I know it’s real, and I can pick an ADHD child out in a crowd. No amount of perfect parenting can undo ADHD behavior. And ADHD isn’t always just about not being able to pay attention or acting hyper. ADHD also drastically affects a child’s ability to process information inhibiting learning and affects behavior limiting friendships and teacher relationships. Medication helps, but there is no cure. It isn’t about bad parenting; these children truly often can’t control themselves. And until you have an ADHD child in your life, you can’t possibly understand. Please don’t judge us.
– G.W., Knoxville
Throughout middle school, I had several conferences with teachers regarding my daughter’s inability to complete work and homework. Teachers brushed off my concerns. My daughter was always placed in a desk at the front of the class because she would talk to others, but still teachers did not see this as a problem. In high school, grades plummeted, homework was not done, I requested testing, and still my concerns were brushed off. I read every book my small library had on school success, and it lead me to think she had ADHD. My pediatrician confirmed this. The semester my daughter started on medication she received all A’s for the first time ever, and stated, “this medication is like a miracle to me.” Her self-esteem has sky-rocketed and she thinks it’s OK to have ADHD. There are a lot worse things to get. Unlike some other medical conditions, this one can be helped.
– Mom of ADHD High School student
I would like everyone to know that ADD/ADHD is REAL. Unless you have lived it yourself or your child has, you may never understand it. It is both a curse and a gift, I believe, and my wonderful, talented, funny, smart son has ADHD, but it does NOT define him-it is not who he is.
– J.McCoy-Golan
When a disability is physical and obvious people are 100 times more willing to help you because they can see it… when it is neurological and behavioral they will acknowledge it but will not give you any special treatments or considerations, to them it is just pure “bad behavior” contributing and perpetuating the depression cycle these kids suffer.
– DCSM
Once diagnosed & treatment started, the changes have been incredible. Math, multi-tasking & overall cognitive abilities have increased many times over! What was once almost impossible for me is now effortless & I find ways to improve daily.
– LDM
As a parent, it is extremely important to be an advocate for your child.My child was adopted at birth, and I feel strongly that God gave her to me because he knew I would stand up for her and guide her and be her biggest cheerleader, no matter how exhausting it is.
– SP, Florida
Having a child with ADHD is like having three children. It’s exhausting!
– HK
Tekstit on lainattu täältä 

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

lauran viinikiireet

Kirjoitan tällä kertaa aiheesta josta en itse juuri tule puhuneeksi, en puhu siitä koska kaikkien näiden vuosien jälkeenkin muisto on yhä arka, se on arka kuin huonosti parantunut haava ja sen haavan suola on häpeä. Se on se häpeä, jota kannoin mukanani lapsuuteni, nuoruuteni ja nuoren aikuisuuteni. Häpeä jonka kanssa elin ennen kuin opin erottamaan itseni yksilönä perheestäni, sairauden ihmisestä ja kuoliaaksi vaietun hiljaisuuden kulissien takana totuudesta. Minun lapsuuteni oli totta vaikkei kukaan tiennyt mitä suljettujen ovien takana tapahtui. Miksi tänään? Miksi kaikkien näiden vuosien jälkeen? Miksi ei anna menneiden vaan olla menneitä? Siksi että tänä aamuna höräisin aamukahvini väärään kurkkuun ja sen sumpin mukana ilmeisesti pussillisen herneitä nenään lukiessani Helsingin Sanomien kolumnia jossa Laura Friman kertoo meille että hänellä on alkoholiongelma – Laura on siis alkoholisti.  Aina meille tulee tää viinikiire, sanoo lapseni – Minulla on alkoholiongelma, ja aion tehdä a

satunnaisia asioita

Etsiessäni tilastotietoja ihan toiseen asiaan, tuli mieleen että voisin kirjoittaa satunnaisia, enemmän tai vähemmän kiinnostavia asioita täältä Yhdysvaltain länsirannikon pohjolasta, Washingtonin osavaltiosta joka, ehkä Pearl Jamia, Nirvanaa ja Starbucksia lukuunottamatta, on kohtalaisen tuntematon maailmalla.  Aloitetaan maantiedosta ja historiasta. Washingtonin osavaltio sijaitsee Yhdysvaltain länsirannikolla ja ei ole sama asia kuin Washington, DC. Washingtonin osavaltio liittyi unioniin marraskuun 11, 1889 ja on Yhdysvaltain #42 osavaltio. Washington on myös ainoa osavaltio, joka on nimetty presidentin mukaan. Washingtonissa on viisi aktiivista tulivuorta. Niistä korkein on Mount Rainier (kuvassa) jonka huippu kurottaa 4392 metrin korkeuteen. Viimeisin tulivuorenpurkaus tapahtui 2004–2008 Mount Saint Helensin purkautuessa. Noiden vuosien aikana tulivuoresta purkautui arviolta 100 miljoonaa kuutiota laavaa. Vuorta pidetään Yhdysvaltain toiseksi vaarallisimpana tulivuorena.  Kaskadi

2.000

On ehkä osuvaa, tai sitten ei, että kahdestuhannes kirjoitus keskittyy suomen kieleen ja vähän suomalaisuuteenkin. Siihen kauniiseen ja rakkaaseen, kieleen jota minun omat lapseni eivät puhu. Kieleen, joka minun lasteni mielestä on lähinnä aika sekava, sillä miten kukaan voi tietää onko kuusi tulessa vai kakussa kuusi siivua. Näiden vuosien aikana olen todennut että on aiheita jotka kiinnostavat lukijaa vuosi toisensa jälkeen. Sellaisia ovat koulujärjestelmä, ihan tavallinen arki ja sitten juuri tämä, kysymys lasten kielitaidosta ja meidän kotikielestä.  Ylläoleva keskustelu käytiin meidän ystävien teinin kanssa. Nämä lapset ovat syntyneet Suomessa, molemmat vanhemmat ovat suomalaisia ja lapset ovat käyneet suomikoulua vuosia. Silti englanti on heilläkin se vahvempi kieli.  Tämä ja monia samankaltaisia keskusteluita käydään niissä perheissä, joissa lapset kasvavat kaksi, tai useampikielisessä kodissa, maassa, jossa valtakieli ei ole suomi. Mitä vanhemmaksi lapset kasvavat sitä enemmän